POKEMON ASCENDANTS

WELCOME TO THE ASCENDANT LEAGUE WE HOPE YOU ENJOY YOUR SAY IF YOUR NOT A MEMBER PLEASE SIGN UP

SIGNED THE ARCENDANTS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

POKEMON ASCENDANTS

WELCOME TO THE ASCENDANT LEAGUE WE HOPE YOU ENJOY YOUR SAY IF YOUR NOT A MEMBER PLEASE SIGN UP

SIGNED THE ARCENDANTS

POKEMON ASCENDANTS

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
POKEMON ASCENDANTS

WELCOME TO THE ASCENDANT LEAGUE

pokemon wars will soon begin
the pokemon wars teams have been mad what team will you join team skies team dark and team ascendat only fate will tell the battle to ascend begins

Latest topics

» GM says Bills need to fix pass rush, sign Johnson
GM says Bills need to fix pass rush, sign Johnson I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 9:32 pm by xiaojin

» Activision's Warcraft loses steam, Call of duty shines
GM says Bills need to fix pass rush, sign Johnson I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 12:06 am by yidiandiana

» Best Buy offering free HTC smartphone with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 purchase
GM says Bills need to fix pass rush, sign Johnson I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 04, 2011 10:59 pm by youxieshi

» Steve Jobs' sister: 'Death didn't happen to Steve, he achieved it'
GM says Bills need to fix pass rush, sign Johnson I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 3:04 am by youshiyinianla

» Malkin scores in shootout as Penguins rally to beat Islanders 3-2
GM says Bills need to fix pass rush, sign Johnson I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 10:49 pm by zhendeainia

» Ravens shut out by Jacksonville defense
GM says Bills need to fix pass rush, sign Johnson I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 3:23 am by weishinia

» FINAL Platypus Diaries Part 10
GM says Bills need to fix pass rush, sign Johnson I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 6:26 am by qiheitiann

» the site has moved
GM says Bills need to fix pass rush, sign Johnson I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 11:09 pm by Syiko♂

»  favorite rpg series of a 8) ll time?
GM says Bills need to fix pass rush, sign Johnson I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 3:31 pm by Syiko♂

GM says Bills need to fix pass rush, sign Johnson

xiaojin

GM says Bills need to fix pass rush, sign Johnson Empty GM says Bills need to fix pass rush, sign Johnson

Post by xiaojin Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:32 pm

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP)—Re-opening contract talks with receiver Stevie Johnson and finding a pass rusher—or two—are among the Buffalo Bills’ top priorities this offseason.

General manager Buddy Nix outlined his plans during a wide-ranging, 45-minute news conference on Monday, a week after the Bills (6-10) closed the season with their eighth loss in nine games—and missed the playoffs for a 12th straight year.

Waiting an additional week to address reporters after meeting with players, coaches and owner Ralph Wilson, Nix said his expectations are that the team will “take a big step” next year.
    It starts with re-signing Johnson, who’s led Buffalo in receiving in each of the past two seasons and has completed the final year of his contract.

“He fits in,” Nix said. “Yeah, we want him back.”

And he doesn’t consider the receiver’s on-field transgressions to be a major concern. Johnson was penalized twice in five weeks for excessive touchdown celebrations—the second leading to a benching by coach Chan Gailey for the final three quarters of a season-ending 49-21 loss at New England.

“Obviously, we’re not happy about that, and I don’t think Stevie is, either,” said Nix, who then went on to defend the player. “He tries to do the right thing when he’s playing, and he tries to do the right thing in practice and in the locker room. He’s not a criminal. He made a mistake. It cost us, and he paid the price.”

Though Nix said there’s been what he called “dialogue” between the two sides since the season ended, formal contract talks have not re-opened since negotiations broke down about six weeks ago when Johnson rejected the team’s last offer.

Nix didn’t clarify what he meant by dialogue, except to say discussions will continue.

In an e-mail to The Associated Press, Johnson’s agent C.J. Laboy wrote, “We cheap jerseyhave had no dialogue with the Bills in regards to Stevie’s contract.”

Looking forward to free agency and the draft, which the Bills open with the 10th overall selection, Nix identified a need to improve the pass rush after Buffalo finished tied for 30th in the NFL with 29 sacks.

Nix said the lack of a consistent pass rush is something that dragged down the entire defense, which allowed a franchise-worst 5,938 yards and 434 points— the second-most in team history. The defense is already being shaken up after coordinator George Edwards was fired last week and replaced by Dave Wannstedt.

“I think our secondary, everything, would look better if we had some pressure on the passer,” he said. “We had some rookies that looked like Dan Marino, and we let them look like that because we let them stand there. You’ve got to disrupt the quarterback.”

Rookie nose tackle Marcell Dareus, a first-round pick, led Buffalo with 5 1/2 sacks, followed by veteran outside linebacker Chris Kelsay with five. The Bills’ ability to pressure the quarterback took a big hit six weeks into the season after linebacker Shawne Merriman was sidelined due to right Achilles’ tendon and shoulder injuries.

The Bills are open to Merriman returning to finish out the final year of his contract next season on the condition he passes his physical.

Nix wouldn’t go into detail, but said there will likely be changes to the defensive coaching staff.

In going over other needs, Nix said he’s looking to add at least one and potentially two receivers. He’s particularly looking for a tall player—Nix used Detroit Lions star Calvin Johnson as a comparison—who is capable of out-jumping and out-muscling defenders.

Nix said he intends to draft an offensive tackle and noted that a team can’t have enough defensive backs.

As for his future after completing his second year as the team’s GM, the 72-year-old Nix said he has no plans to retire.

“As long as my energy level stays where it is, then I’m going to do it until the job’s dsuper bowl jerseyone,” Nix said. “Eventually, (retirement) comes to all of us, but I’ve got no plans for that.”

NOTES: Nix said RB Fred Jackson has been re-assured that the Bills will restructure the player’s contract before the start of next season. Jackson has one year left on his deal. … The Bills also stand to lose PK Rian Lindell, TE Scott Chandler, WR Roscoe Parrish and LT Demetrius Bell to free agency.

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:33 pm